500 Student Visa
500 Student Visa
500 Student Visa Summary
This Visa is for students who want to come to Australia to study at a registered education institution.
- You can study a registered full-time course in Australia.
- Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia.
- You and your family members can generally work a specified number of hours.
- You can generally stay in Australia until your course is finished.
Important: Before you apply for student Visa, you must have been accepted to study full-time at an educational institution in Australia.
Genuine Temporary Entrants
The genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement is an integrity measure to ensure that the student Visa programme is used as intended and not as a way for international students to maintain ongoing residency in Australia.
The GTE requirement applies to all student Visa applicants. The officer assessing the Visa will and consider whether the individual circumstances of the student indicates that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia.
- You must satisfy us that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily.
- When assessing the GTE requirement, we will consider the requirements set out in Ministerial Direction 69. To assess this, we will consider:
- your circumstances
- your immigration history
- if you are under 18 years old, the intention of your parent, legal guardian or partner
- any other relevant matter.
The GTE requirement provides a useful way to help identify those applicants who are using the student Visa programme for motives other than gaining a quality education. The requirement is not designed to exclude students who, after studying in Australia, go on to develop the skills required by the Australian labour market and apply to become permanent residents.
If you need to provide evidence of your English language proficiency, we will accept the following minimum English language test score:
|English language test providers||Minimum test score||Minimum test score where combined with at least 10 weeks ELICOS||Minimum test score where combined with at least 20 weeks ELICOS|
|International English Language Testing System||5.5||5||4.5|
|*Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) paper based||527||500||450|
|TOEFL internet based test||46||35||32|
|Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English)||162||154||147|
|Pearson Test of English Academic||42||36||30|
|Occupational English Test||Pass**||N/A||N/A|