884 Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa
884 Contributory aged parent (temporary)
884 Contributory aged parent (temporary) Visa Summary
This Visa allows aged parents who are in Australia on a temporary basis and who have children living in Australia, to live in Australia for two years. You cannot extend or renew this Visa.
If you are granted this Visa and want to live in Australia permanently, you must apply for a permanent Visa before this temporary Visa expires. Once you are in Australia, you can only apply for one of the following substantive Visas:
- Contributory Parent (Residence) Visa (subclass 864)
- Protection (permanent) Visa
- Medical Treatment (temporary) Visa.
This Visa requires that you be sponsored by your child, or another eligible sponsor in Australia.
Who is this Visa for?
This Visa is for you if you are an elderly parent of a child or stepchild who, at the time the Visa application is lodged, is ‘settled’ and either an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. This means your child must have been lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period, normally two years, although a shorter period can be considered for Australian citizen children if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances.
In addition you must be able to demonstrate one of the following:
- at least half of your children are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who are usually resident in Australia
- you have more children living in Australia as Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens than in any other country.
Your partner and other dependent family members may be included in your application provided they satisfy certain requirements.
Note: If you have been granted a Tourist (subclass 676) Visa by the Minister through ministerial intervention, other eligibility criteria may apply. If you are considering a parent Visa option, please contact the Parent Visa Centre in Perth to discuss your specific circumstances.
What does this Visa let me do?
This Visa allows you, your accompanying partner and dependent family members to live as temporary residents in Australia for two years.
You can also:
- have access to Australia’s medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme, Medicare
- work in Australia
- study, but you are not eligible to apply for Austudy
How does the 884 Visa work?
|Sponsor|| Must give a written undertaking accepting responsibility for: |
• all financial obligations to the Commonwealth incurred by the applicant and their accompanying partner and dependent family members
• compliance with all relevant legislation and awards relating to employment undertaken in Australia and
• compliance with all conditions of the Visa
for the applicant’s first two (2) years of temporary residency in Australia
|Applicant||Complete and lodge the application including the application charge and all supporting documentation.|
884 Visa application process
Adding family members to your application
Parent Visa processing priorities
How to lodge your application
Need Advice or Assistance?
884 contributory Aged Parent (temporary) Visa requirements
|Birth Date||Earliest date you can apply||Minimum Age|
|Before 30 June 1944||From 30 June 2007||63|
|1 July 1944 – 31 December 1945||Between 1 January 2008 – 30 June 2009||63.5|
|1 January 1946 – 30 June 1947||Between 1 January 2010 – 30 June 2011||64|
|1 July 1947 – 31 December 1948||Between 1 January 2012 – 30 June 2013||64.5|
|1 January 1949 and later||From 1 January 2014 onwards||65|