173 Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa
173 Contributory parent (Temporary)
173 Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa Summary
This Visa is for parents residing in other country, who have children residing in Australia, to enter and live in Australia for two years. You cannot extend or renew this Visa.
If you are granted this Visa and want to live in Australia permanently, you must apply for a permanent Visa before this temporary Visa expires. Once you are in Australia, you can only apply for one of the following substantive Visas:
- Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (subclass 143)
- Protection Visa (permanent) Visa
- Medical Treatment (temporary) Visa.
This Visa requires that you be sponsored by your child, or another eligible sponsor, in Australia.
Who is this Visa for?
This Visa is essential for a parent who has his or her children ‘settled’ while the application is lodged. They may either be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. This means your child must have been lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period, normally two years, although a shorter period can be considered for Australian citizen children if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances.
In addition you must be able to demonstrate one of the following:
- at least half of your children are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who are usually resident in Australia
- you have more children living in Australia as Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens than in any other country.
Your partner and other dependent family members may be included in your application provided they satisfy certain requirements.
Note: If you have been granted a Tourist (subclass 676) Visa by the Minister through ministerial intervention, other eligibility criteria may apply. If you are considering a parent Visa option, please contact the Parent Visa Centre in Perth to discuss your specific circumstances.
What does this Visa let me do?
This Visa allows you and your accompanying partner and dependent family members to live as a temporary resident in Australia for two years.
You can also:
- have access to Australia’s medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme, Medicare
- work in Australia
- study, but you are not eligible to apply for Austudy.
Need Advice or Assistance?
How does the 173 Visa work?
|Sponsor||Must give a written undertaking to provide support, accommodation and financial assistance for the applicant and any accompanying partner and dependent family members during their first 2 years in Australia.|
|Applicant||Complete and lodge the application including the application charge and all supporting documentation.|