835 Remaining Relative (Onshore) Visa
835 remaining relative (onshore)
835 Remaining relative onshore Visa Summary
This Visa is for people whose relatives are usually residents in Australia. They must either be Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens.
This Visa requires you to be sponsored by an eligible relative (or your relative’s eligible partner), in Australia.
Who is this Visa for?
This Visa is for you if both of these apply:
- you have a brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia
- you and your partner have no brothers, sisters, non-dependent children, parents (or step-equivalents) other than those in Australia
Your partner and other family members may be included in your application if they meet certain requirements.
What does this Visa let me do?
If you are granted this Visa you and your eligible family members can live in Australia as Australian permanent residents.
You can also:
- work and study in Australia
- receive subsidized healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria
- sponsor people for permanent residence (subject to waiting periods and Visa specific restrictions)
Need Advice or Assistance?
How does the 835 Visa work?
|Sponsor||Must give a written undertaking to provide support, accommodation and financial assistance for the applicant, and any accompanying family members, for their first two years of residency in Australia.|
|Applicant||Complete and lodge the application including the application charge and all supporting documentation.|
|Assurer of Support (can be the sponsor or another person)|| Be prepared to:|
• provide financial assistance to the applicant and the applicant’s accompanying partner and dependent family members so they do not need to rely on any government forms of support for two (2) years of residency
• repay any recoverable social security payments made to the applicant or their accompanying partner and dependent family members in the first two (2) years of residency in Australia
Note: You must not lodge an Assurance of Support until it is asked for. Details on how to provide an Assurance of Support will be sent to the applicant after the Visa application has been received.