Performs routine tasks associated in laying bituminous and other paving materials on roads, runways, parking areas and other surfaces to be paved.
Indicative Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications outlined below.
AQF Certificate I, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
NZ Register Level 1 qualification, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
For some occupations a short period of on-the-job training may be required in addition to or instead of the formal qualification. In some instances no formal qualification or on-the-job training may be required.
- sweeping paving bases prior to laying asphalt and other surfaces
- sprinkling and brushing hot and cold-mix asphalt over surfaces to be paved and repaired to bond asphalt toppings to bases
- operating tank-truck distributors and hoses to spray tar and road oils and emulsions on graded surfaces prior to paving
- tripping tail-gate levers to discharge hot-mix asphalt into paving machines, and spreading stone chips, gravel and cold-mix asphalt onto road surfaces
- shovelling asphalt mix into areas inaccessible to paving machines, and compacting mix using rakes and hand tampers
- cutting and trimming damaged surfaces using jack-hammers and softening edges of areas to be repaired with blowtorches
- erecting and dismantling barricades
- loading and unloading equipment, and cleaning work sites
- may direct traffic