Drives a train to transport passengers and freight on railways. Registration or licensing is required.
- Electric Train Driver
- Fireperson (Railway)
- Locomotive Observer
- Rail Car Driver
- Steam Train Driver
Indicative Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing is required.
- stopping at stations and set locations to pick up and set down passengers and freight
- opening and closing doors before and after passengers board or alight
- observing signals, track conditions, nearby traffic and prescribed speeds to ensure safety
- monitoring indicator gauges, changing controls and power supply poles and reporting operating irregularities
- checking time and adherence to timetables
- may advise passengers on destinations