Construction Plant Operator (General)
Operates a range of earthmoving plant to assist with building roads, rail, water supply, dams, treatment plants and agricultural earthworks. Registration or licensing is required.
Indicative Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing is required.
- preparing and positioning plant for operation
- selecting, fitting and removing attachments such as buckets, winches, loading scoops, shovel blades and rock breaking hammers
- operating controls to excavate, break, drill, level, compact, gouge out, move, load and spread earth, rock, rubble, soil and other materials
- monitoring operation of plant and adjusting controls to regulate pressure, speed and flow of operation, and ensuring safety of other workers
- raising, lowering and manipulating attachments using manual and hydraulic controls
- working from drawings, markers and verbal instructions
- servicing, lubricating, cleaning and refuelling plant and performing minor adjustments and repairs