Drilling Plant Operator
Assembles, positions and operates a drilling rig and related equipment to extract ore, liquids or gases from the earth. Registration or licensing may be required.
- Development Driller
- Directional Driller
- Exploration Driller
- Jumbo Operator
- Power Tong Operator
- Raise Drill Operator
- Rig Manager
- Rock Drill Operator
- Stope Miner
- Tool Pusher
Indicative Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
- dismantling, moving and reassembling drilling rigs and accessory plant
- taking samples of ore, liquids and gases and packaging them
- performing minor maintenance and repairs, and lubricating and cleaning plant
- recording performance details and information obtained from wells, and keeping logs detailing operations
- operating surface and underground mining plant
- undertaking development work such as opening up new shafts, drives, air vents, rises and crib rooms
- positioning explosives in bore holes and priming explosives using detonators and explosive cartridges
- connecting wires, fuses and detonating cords to explosive cartridges and detonators, and detonating explosives
- monitoring operation of plant and ensuring safety of other workers on mining sites and during drilling operations
- operating auxiliary plant such as pumps to expel air, water and mud