A Technical and Further Education (TAFE) course is perfect for you if you’re an international student in Australia who is seeking a practical course that leads on to either building a career in a certain field or to a higher education pathway.
TAFE courses for international students provide a wonderful grounding if you’re planning to study in Australia because there are so many options available that will help you get the job of your dreams. Also, one of the best parts of being a student in Australia, apart from the career prospects, of course, is the entire student experience that you’ll be able to immerse yourself in. You’ll meet lots of new people, be able to see new places and will generally have the time of your life!
So, What is TAFE?
Technical and Further Education (TAFE) studies are vocational programmes or certifications that are provided by the national training system of Australia (Vocational Education and Training). The Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) is the name of the system that TAFE courses operate through. And, there are so many of these lines of study to choose from.
No matter what you are interested in, you will find a TAFE course that will suit you. There’s everything from arts to winemaking to anything else! You will find that embarking on one of these courses genuinely enriches your life, helps you to meet new friends, educates you and that it could well be a stepping stone to something even bigger in the future! There are many international students who enjoy their TAFE courses so much that they just don’t want to stop studying!
If you’re wondering who funds and runs TAFE institutes, it’s the state and territory government of Australia. Although TAFE is purpose-designed to provide certificate/diploma qualifications, there are also some post-graduate diplomas and bachelor’s degrees available in certain fields. The actual TAFE system is an entry point for all students who wish to earn credits to go towards a bachelor’s degree from a university. It is then possible to transfer these credits to full degree programmes.
Australia’s TAFE Institutes
The largest training and education sector in Australia is TAFE. As it stands today, there are around 59 TAFE institutes throughout metropolitan and regional areas of the country. The magic of TAFE courses is that these are specifically designed to provide students with the skills, training and the qualifications they need to join the workforce. There is a hugely practical side to TAFE which many students genuinely embrace. TAFE is all about putting learning into practice rather than just working on the theoretical side. So, if you are the type of person who likes to get things done, TAFE could work well for you!
If you’re wondering about the policies and the TAFE course fees international students are required to pay, that’s really dependent on the state or territory government. This means that these two aspects may differ from place to place so, to find out more, it’s crucial to visit your chosen territory or state’s TAFE website. In fact, it’s probably best practice to check out several TAFE websites before you narrow things down.
Areas of TAFE Study
Further education and technical institutions provide courses in lots of different subject areas including:
- Arts and Design
- Community and Health
- Hair and Beauty
- Engineering and Transport
- Building and Furnishings
- Information Technology
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Business and Marketing and more
So, you see, there are lots of interesting subjects to choose from. You can even study a migration agent course! TAFE institutes are exciting and interactive places to learn, so you’re sure to find a course that suits you.
TAFE Study Levels
As well as offering lots of different courses, you can choose from a variety of qualifications depending on your career aspirations. If you want to learn something brand new, you can choose a more basic course, whereas, you can always learn something more specialised if you would like. TAFE courses are unique like that. You can choose to learn at your own level so you’re likely to be able to keep up with the tuition. Perfect!
The most common TAFE qualifications are:
- Certificate I: Certificate I covers training in basic skills and routine tasks.
- Certificate II: Throughout this level, you will gain some operational knowledge in certain fields of skill so you can find and utilise solutions to any foreseeable issues.
- Certificate III: By gaining this qualification, you’ll find that you have the theoretical knowledge and the higher skills to find solutions to various problems.
- Certificate IV: You’ll have and develop a broader knowledge base at this level. You will also study for one to two years (FT) or the PT equivalent. Throughout this course, you will learn how to effectively analyse and evaluate information while applying learned skills in various areas.
- Diploma: Diploma level study prepares students for industry and paraprofessional careers. Consequently, at this level the student will develop a vast knowledge while having the real opportunity to use this diploma study to earn credits towards university. Diplomas take as many as two years study (FT) or (PT) equivalent.
- Advanced Diploma: An Advanced Diploma takes your qualifications and ability up a rung by providing you with expert level skills. On completion, you can apply for supervisory or managerial roles in your chosen field. Gaining these qualifications tends to vary length wise, potentially lasting up to 1.5 to 2 years of FT study.
- Graduate Certificate: As the name suggests, the Graduate Certificate involves graduation at a higher or diploma level that also requires expertise that’s relevant to the industry as well as some industry experience.
Unlike degrees achieved at university, the units and skills you’ll study in TAFE will not change from one provider to another. TAFE study is a solid choice for so many international students, so to find out more and for a no obligation chat about your future hopes and prospects, get in touch with a member of our knowledgeable team. We look forward to helping you to begin your Australian journey!