- On February 8, 2019, StudyPerth unveiled a six-year action plan with the ambitious target of doubling overseas student numbers in WA to 100,000 by 2025.
- This is done after a series of state’s policies that resulted in the dwindling number of foreign students in WA took place.
Australia is now home to 869,000 foreign students who collectively contributed more than $31 billion to the national economy in 2018. To put things into perspective, from those numbers, only 51,000 are based in WA.
The action plan is set to add roughly another 50,000 foreign students within the next six years.
Western Australia lost its appeal as a study destination for foreign students ever since Premiere McGowan pulled regional Perth from Subclass 187 RSMS Visa Program.
Just a reminder, the 187 Visa is a permanent work visa that is highly appealing to students and usually were on their list while they plan their pathway (to PR). The move was seen as an effort of the of the state to protect local workforce from the foreign ones (migrant workers).
The New Graduate Stream
A few months ago, WA launched the so-called graduate stream aiming to lure both undergraduate and master students to work in the state.
- eligible university graduates who have gained a higher qualification and studied for at least two years in Western Australia at a Western Australian university;
- have an available occupation on the Graduate occupation list for the intended visa subclass; and
- can meet the Western Australian State Nomination Graduate stream eligibility criteria.
As reported by PerthNow, according to McGowan
the graduate visa program had proved so popular he had already written to the Federal Government seeking to increase the number of places from 800 to 2000.
The Action Plan
StudyPerth based their action plan by conveying Perth as the perfect place for foreign students to live, learn and create.
“Through collaboration and joint effort, we at StudyPerth are committed to providing an environment that nurtures, supports and encourages students, in the learning, social and professional spheres of their lives. We know this will lead to significant social and economic benefits for the greater WA community.”
You can download StudyPerth Action Plan here.
What Does It Mean?
If you’re planning to study in Australia, this is a good news for you. You can either contact us or get in touch with our sister brand Active Migration Education, to know more about options available for you if you plan to apply for a student visa.