Visa Summary

International students studying in Australia on a student visa may require a guardian if they are under 18 years of age. There may also be exceptional circumstances where a student over 18 years of age may need a guardian for religious or cultural reasons.

Who is this visa for?

The Student Guardian visa is for foreign nationals applying to stay in Australia as the guardian of a student who is studying in Australia.

You will need to read this information if you are:

  • applying for your first student guardian visa to Australia
  • already in Australia on a student guardian visa and want a subsequent visa

In most circumstances, if you have a child under six, you will not be eligible for the grant of a Student Guardian visa.

In very limited circumstances, where you have a child under 6 who holds a passport of a country that is subject to Assessment Level 1 or 2 under the Schools Sector (subclass 571) student visa and you present compelling and compassionate circumstances as to why you should be granted a Student Guardian visa and you meet all other requirements, you may be eligible for a Student Guardian visa.

What does the visa let me do?

If you are granted this visa, you can:

  • live in Australia for the same length of time as the student for whom you are guardian, or until the student turns 18 years of age
  • bring dependent children with you to Australia, but only if they are under six years of age and meet specific eligibility requirements
  • study in Australia for up to three months. If you lodged your application on or after 24 March 2012, you have unlimited part-time study rights for English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) study only, (this means that you may study any ELICOS courses less than 20 hours per week for the duration of your visa)

    Note: If you intend to study any course other than ELICOS for more than 3 months, you must apply for a student visa

How does this visa work?

Nominating a student guardian

The student's parent or legal custodian must nominate you as the student's guardian. If you are the student's parent or legal custodian, you can nominate yourself as the student's guardian.

You can lodge your application for a student guardian visa at the same time that the student lodges their student visa application, or after the student arrives in Australia.

Length of stay

This visa allows you to stay in Australia for the same length of time as the student for whom you will be the guardian. If the student is less than 18 years of age, your visa will usually be granted until the student turns 18 years.

This visa permits multiple entries to Australia.