Visa Summary

This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area in Australia. 

The visa is valid for four years, and a visa holder must live and work in a specified regional area. 

Certain family members can be included in the application, are not added in the previous subclasses 495, 496, 475 and 487 applications. 

This visa allows holders of provisional visa subclasses 495, 496, 475 and 487 to stay in Australia for up to 48 months from the date their current visa was granted.

How this visa works

To be able to lodge a valid application for this visa you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect and then receive an invitation to apply. You can do this in or outside Australia.

To meet the requirements of this visa, you must be nominated by an Australian state or territory government or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area of Australia.

Holders of visa subclasses 495, 496, 475 and 487

If you hold one of the following visas and have met all the conditions of that visa, you may be eligible to apply for a subclass 489 visa, allowing you to stay in Australia for an additional year:

  • Skilled — Independent Regional (Provisional) Subclass 495 
  • Skilled — Designated Area-sponsored (Provisional) Subclass 496 
  • Skilled — Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Subclass 475 
  • Skilled — Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Subclass 487.

Your dependants who were not included in your original application (subsequent entrants) may also be eligible to apply for this visa.

As a holder of one of the above provisional visas, you and any subsequent entrants do not need to submit an Expression of Interest and/or receive an invitation to apply. Instead you apply using one of the options listed below:

  • application for Provisional Skilled Regional – Renewal Visa (489) 
  • application for Provisional Skilled Regional – Subsequent Entrant Visa (489) 
  • log on to a saved application or add attachments

You can be granted a maximum of two provisional skilled visas. This means if you have held any of the above visas more than once, you cannot apply for a subclass 489 visa.

Nomination by a state or territory government

If you want to be nominated by a specific state or territory government, you must indicate this in your Expression of Interest. If you do not have a preference, you will be available to all states and territories.

Sponsorship by an eligible relative

If you want an invitation for this visa based on sponsorship by an eligible relative in a designated area, you must include the details of your sponsor in your Expression of Interest. 

You can update or change your sponsor's details in SkillSelect at any time. If you provide details for a new sponsor, that sponsor must also be an eligible relative living in a designated area.

Visa application process:

If you are invited to apply for this visa, you will then have 60 days in which to lodge your online application. Your invitation letter will explain the lodgment process you should follow. You can be in or outside Australia when you lodge your application.

Invitations are based on claims made in your Expression of Interest at the time you are invited to apply. Your application must reflect the information provided in your Expression of Interest, and be supported by relevant evidence.

If after receiving two invitations to apply for a visa you do not make a visa application your Expression of Interest will be removed from SkillSelect.

Lodge the application

You must lodge your application online through SkillSelect. You must pay the initial application charge by credit card at this time.

A second charge, that applies only to dependants who are aged 18 years or older who are included on your application and who have less than functional English, is payable before a visa can be granted.

As part of lodging your application, you must confirm that you agree with the Australian Values Statement and have read, or had explained to you, the Life in Australia book.

Provide relevant documents

You must provide documents that prove the claims you made in your Expression of Interest. These are identified and explained in the Document Checklist (85KB PDF file). This checklist also explains additional requirements and whether you need to provide original documents or certified copies.

If you are being sponsored by an eligible relative, your sponsor must also provide certain documents. These are identified and explained in the Document Checklist.

Any document in a language other than English must be accompanied by an English translation that has been done by a translator who has been accredited by an organization such as National Accreditation Authority for Translations and Interpreters (NAATI). Translations done by a translator not accredited by NAATI must include that person's full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.

All supporting documents should be scanned and uploaded with your application.

The department will notify you if they need more information and/or documentation.

Include family members

You can include the following family members in your visa application:

  • your partner 
  • yours or your partner's dependent child 
  • yours or your partner's dependent relative

These family members must meet certain requirements. Please read the ‘Including dependent family members’ in your application and ‘proof of dependency’ for further details.

Visa Requirements:

Applications are by invitation only. To be invited to apply, a person must:

  • submit an Expression of Interest and be nominated or sponsored 
  • have an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list 
  • have a suitable skills assessment for that occupation 
  • be less than 50 years of age when the invitation is issued 
  • meet English language requirements 
  • be able to score at least 60 on the points test

Requirements before applying for visa 

  • be invited to apply 
  • be younger than 50 years of age when you are invited to apply 
  • nominate an occupation that matches your skills and qualifications and is on the relevant skilled occupation list 
  • have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation 
  • have at least competent English 
  • score at least 60 on the points test 
  • meet the health and character requirements

 Requirements after applying for visa

After you have lodged a valid visa application, you will receive a letter of acknowledgement. Your application will be allocated to a case officer and be assessed according to the priority processing arrangements. You will be informed that you have a case officer and be provided with an email address for all future correspondence.

The department may make a decision on your application, based on the information you provide. They may also request additional documentation. Any requested documents must be attached online.

Provide more information:

Meet health requirements

You and all members of your family unit must meet certain health requirements.

The department will tell you when to arrange health examinations.

Meet character requirements

You and all members of your family unit must meet certain character requirements. This means you and each of your dependents (whether migrating or not) who are aged 16 years or older must provide police certificates. These need to be obtained from each country you and your family members have lived in for 12 months or more over the last 10 years or, in the case of those younger than 26 years or age, since each person turned 16 years of age.

The department will tell you when to arrange police certificates.

Provide biometrics

You may be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of your application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.

Provide a comment, if required

If the department receives adverse information that could result in you being refused a visa, you will be given the chance to comment on that information.

If you are invited to comment, you must do so by a set date. After that date, the department can continue processing your application and make a decision based on information already provided.

Report Changes

The department needs to know, as soon as possible and in writing, about changes in circumstances that may affect the processing of your application such as:

  • you get a new job 
  • you move to a new address 
  • you get a new passport 
  • you want to add or change the person authorized to act on your behalf in connection with the application 
  • a birth or death in your family (a newborn child can be added to an application after it has been lodged but before a decision has been made) 
  • you want to add a dependent child to your application before your visa is granted 
  • you and/or your dependent family members intend to travel to and from Australia while the application is being processed

Withdraw your application

You can withdraw your application at any stage during processing.

To do this, you must send the department a letter of withdrawal including your full name, date of birth, date of application and file reference number/transaction record number (if known).

Everyone in the application who is 18 years of age or older must sign the letter of withdrawal.

Obtain a bridging visa

If you apply for this visa while you are in Australia, you may be eligible for a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully in case your current visa ceases before a decision is made on your visa application.

If you are in Australia and want to travel overseas while this visa application is being considered, you may need to apply for a specific Bridging visa to allow you to travel overseas and then return to Australia, even if you hold another type of visa that does allow you to leave and return to Australia.

Receive a visa decision

If your visa application is approved, the department will send you a letter with the:

  • visa grant number 
  • visa conditions (including a specified initial entry date) 
  • details of what you must do next

If your visa application is not approved, the department will send you a letter stating:

  • why the visa was not approved 
  • your review rights, if any 
  • a time frame for lodging an appeal, if applicable

Conditions and obligations for holders of visa subclass 489

This information explains what is required of you (and your accompanying dependent family members) after you are granted a provisional Skilled Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 489).

Enter Australia

If you are outside Australia when the visa is granted, the department will specify the date by which you must enter Australia.


This visa allows you and your dependants to:

  • temporarily live and work in a designated regional area in Australia 
  • study in a specified regional area of Australia 
  • travel in and out of Australia while the visa is valid 
  • apply for permanent residence through the Skilled Regional (Residence) visa. (subclass 887) This can be achieved after certain conditions have been met.

Visa obligations

Nominated by a state or territory

There are obligations that your nominating state or territory will require you to meet. These include that you:

  • stay in that state or territory for at least two years 
  • keep the state or territory informed of any changes to your address 
  • complete surveys and provide information when asked

Sponsored by an eligible family member

You must live and work in a designated area. If you plan to seek permanent residence, you will need to prove that you have spent the specified time in a designated area.

Comply with visa conditions and Australian laws

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

If you do not comply with the conditions of your visa:

  • your visa, and those of any accompanying family members, may be cancelled 
  • you will not be able to apply for another provisional Skilled Regional Sponsored visa 
  • you may not meet the requirements to apply for permanent residence