Visa Summary

The subclass 457 visa is relevant for skilled workers residing in countries other than Australia. These skilled workers have to be sponsored and nominated by a business to work in Australia on a temporary basis.

A business can sponsor a skilled worker from other countries to fill the required position. According to the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List, any business can sponsor skilled labor if it is not able to find an appropriately skilled Australian citizen or permanent resident to fill that position.

How this visa works

This Visa subclass allows a business to employ skilled staff from other countries.

If you hold this visa, you can:

  • work in Australia for up to four years
  • bring your family with you
  • travel in and out of Australia as often as you want

You can apply for this visa if you:

  • are sponsored by an employer to fill a nominated skilled position 
  • have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background that match those required for the position
  • have demonstrated your English language ability
  • are eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position
  • have health insurance

Three stages of a subclass 457 visa application

There are three stages to employing a skilled worker under the subclass 457 visa program:

  •  employer applies to be a sponsor
  •  employer nominates a position
  •  employee applies for a visa

Applications for each of these three stages can be submitted at the same time.

Stage 1: The employer applies to be a sponsor

This information explains how a business can sponsor skilled workers from outside Australia.

The purpose of the sponsorship stage is to confirm that the business wanting to employ the skilled worker:

  • is a lawfully operating business
  • has no adverse information about it or any of its directors
  • meets the department's training requirements (Australian businesses only)

The employer applies to become a sponsor. This may include two arrangements:

  • application for standard business sponsorship
  • negotiation of a labor agreement with the Australian Government

The employer can be an Australian business or a business outside Australia.

If the sponsorship application is approved, the business becomes an approved sponsor. This is valid for three years.

Stage 2: Employer nominates a position

Nomination is the process of identifying an eligible occupation in a business to be filled by a skilled overseas worker. The nomination process is mandatory for the standard business sponsors as well as for the parties to a labor agreement.

The purpose of the nomination process is to identify all of the following:

  • the occupation relevant to the position to be filled
  • the skills and experience required for the position
  • the market salary rate for the position and the salary rate to be paid to the prospective overseas employee
  • the name of the prospective overseas employee
  • the location where the employee will be working

The approved sponsor nominates a skilled worker to fill the position. The skilled worker must be paid the appropriate market salary for the position in Australia. The position must be an eligible occupation. A nomination is valid for up to 12 months unless the sponsorship ceases beforehand.

Stage 3: Employee applies for a visa

This information explains what you need to do to apply for a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457).

The skilled worker applies for a visa to work for the approved sponsor in Australia. The support of a sponsor is required for an application for a subclass 457 visa to be valid. A visa may be valid for up to four years. Do not make arrangements to move to Australia. Do not leave your employment, sell your home or book travel arrangements until you are advised in writing that you have been granted a visa.

In this visa:

  • The skilled worker from outside Australia is known as the primary sponsored person
  • Dependants who are applying with the primary sponsored person are known as secondary sponsored persons

Visa Requirements:

You can apply for this visa if you:

  •  are sponsored by an employer to fill a nominated skilled position
  •  have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background that match those required for the position
  •  have demonstrated your English language ability
  •  are eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position
  •  have health insurance

Requirements for skilled workers (primary visa applicants)

You can apply for a subclass 457 visa if:

  •  you have relevant skills and you been nominated by an approved business to work in an eligible occupation in Australia, and you:
    • are working for the company for the first time
    • are being transferred from another position within the same company outside Australia
    • currently hold a subclass 457 visa which is about to expire
  • you are a member of the family unit of a skilled worker who has been nominated for this visa

Eligible occupations

You must work in a skilled occupation that has been approved by the Australian Government.

The list of eligible occupations are available on the our website. This list includes a number (an ANZSCO Code) and an Occupation Title.

This opens a search page to help you locate your nominated occupation. This will help you identify the level of qualifications and work background you are required to have.

Skill requirements

Subclass 457 visa applicants are required to demonstrate that they have the skills and experience necessary to perform the nominated occupation.

If your nominated occupation is a trade occupation you may be required to undertake a skills assessment. To determine if you will be required to do so, refer to the Trades Recognition Australia website.

Registration and licensing

If requested by your visa processing case officer, you must provide evidence from the relevant Australian registration or licensing authority. This indicates that you hold or will be able to meet registration or licensing requirements to work in your nominated occupation.

Your approved sponsor should be able to provide you with the necessary licensing and registration information.