Visa Summary

The Training visa (subclass 407) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or professional development.  

There are three types of occupational training (nomination eligibility types) covered by this visa:

  • workplace-based training required for registration
  • structured workplace-based training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation
  • training that promotes capacity building overseas.

Occupational training required for registration

This type of occupational training is for people who are required to undertake workplace-based training to obtain registration, membership or licensing in Australia, or their home country, in order to work in their occupation.

Occupational training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation

This type of occupational training is for people with recent and suitable experience in the nominated occupation, who are seeking to undertake a structured workplace-based training programme in relation to an occupation specified in the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) or theConsolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL).

Occupational training for capacity building overseas

This type of occupational training includes the following categories:

  • overseas qualification - This category enables students who are currently enrolled in a foreign educational institution and who are required to complete a period of practical training, research or observation to obtain their qualification, the opportunity to undertake up to six months structured workplace-based training in Australia.
  • government support  - This category allows for structured workplace-based occupational training which has the support of a government agency in Australia or the government in the home country of the nominated trainee.
  • professional development  - This category enables overseas employers to send their managerial or professional employees to Australia to undertake a tailored professional development programme of face-to-face teaching in a classroom or similar environment.

Note: Workplace-based occupational training (not including professional development) must be for at least 30 hours a week, of which no more than 30 per cent can be classroom-based.


How Does This Visa Work?

 If you are outside Australia at time of grant, this visa allows you to:

  • travel to and enter Australia after your visa is granted
  • remain in Australia during the stay period granted (up to a maximum of 2 years), which begins on the day you first enter Australia, to do the training specified in your visa application
  • travel to and from Australia during the stay period granted.

If you are in Australia at time of grant, this visa allows you to:

  • remain in Australia during the stay period granted, which begins on the date your visa is granted, to do the training specified in your visa application
  • travel to and from Australia during the stay period granted.

Part-time, classroom-based study that is unrelated to your occupational training may be permitted, provided it does not interfere with your occupational training programme. The unrelated classroom study cannot count towards any component of the training programme and should be listed in your visa application.


Visa Requirements

 You might be able to get this visa if you:

  • are sponsored (by an approved sponsor of a relevant class) to participate in workplace-based occupational training activities or classroom-based professional development activities
  • are identified in an approved nomination by an Australian organisation (other than a Commonwealth agency)
  • are invited (if the sponsor is a Commonwealth agency)
  • meet the requirements of the visa
  • have functional English language skills, to do the training and meet occupational health and safety standards
  • have a genuine intention to stay temporarily in Australia
  • have adequate financial support for yourself and accompanying family members while in Australia
  • have adequate arrangements for health insurance while in Australia
  • meet health and character requirements
  • are at least 18 years of age (except in limited circumstances).

Financial support

You might be asked to provide evidence that you can financially support yourself and your accompanying family members while in Australia.

Health insurance


You are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia. You will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme (Medicare) unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.


You must have adequate health insurance unless you are covered by Medicare. You should ensure that your insurance will provide at least the level of coverage required for the purpose of your stay. Your health insurer could be in either Australia or your home country.


Attachment A in the health insurance standard template letter (138 kB RTF) is a guide to the level of health insurance we will accept as adequate.


This applies to you and any dependent family members listed in the application.

If you are not entitled to Medicare benefits, you can ask for an exemption from Australia's Medicare levy in your end-of-year tax return.

Character requirements

You must meet certain character requirements. If your stay in Australia, including any time already spent in Australia is more than 12 months, you must obtain a police clearance if you are 16 years of age or older.

You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age

This applies to you and all the dependent family members listed in your application, whether they are migrating or not.

Debts to the Australian Government

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

This also applies to all dependent family members in your application who are 18 years of age or older.

Provide biometrics

You might be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of the application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.

Payment of salary or wages

You must be paid a salary or wages in accordance with Australian laws and practices. If there is no award covering the position, you must receive at least the minimum federal award rate. If this is a volunteer position, you and your sponsor must complete a form 1283 and 1284. Your sponsor must lodge them with the nomination.

 Health Requirements

You must meet certain health requirements. The health examination you will need depend on your personal circumstances, including your period of stay, country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.

Payment for visas declaration

Sponsors, nominators and visa applicants are required to provide a statement in relation to current or previous conduct that constitutes a breach in 'paying for visa sponsorship' activity. This declaration is included in the visa application form.


Including Family in Your Application

You may be able to bring your family members to Australia with you, if you are granted this visa.

The visa application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you.​ See: including family members in your application.

Your family members must be able to show that they meet health and characterrequirements.​

Your sponsor must agree in writing to sponsor your family members.

Members of your family unit can apply for this visa as either a combined applicant (included in your application) or as a subsequent applicant (at a later time, separate from your application). Applications can be made using ImmiAccount. Subsequent applicants should apply using the Temporary Activity, International Relations or Training Visa (Subsequent Entrant)(403,407,408) form in ImmiAccount.


Family members who are granted a visa to join you in Australia can only work up to 40 hours a fortnight.