Visa Summary

The Medical Treatment visa (subclass 602) is a temporary visa for people to:

  • have medical treatment or medical consultations in Australia
  • donate an organ
  • support the person who is having medical treatment in Australia.

You cannot apply for this visa to have medical treatment for surrogate motherhood.

You can apply for this visa when you are in or outside Australia.

If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is decided.

If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is decided.

How does this visa work?

This visa allows you to:

  • stay in Australia for medical treatment
  • study for up to three months, unless you are younger than 18 and your circumstances change while you are in Australia
  • travel to Australia either:
      • once to enter the country until your treatment plan is completed, or
      • as many times as you want while your visa is valid.

Visa application process

This information explains what you need to do to apply for a Medical Treatment visa (subclass 602). You can be in or outside Australia when you apply.

You can apply for this visa whether you are in or outside Australia:

  • If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is decided.
  • If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is decided.

Prepare your documents

You need to provide documents to prove the claims you make in your application. These documents are listed in the Document checklist.

Some documents could take some time to obtain. You should have all the required documents ready when you lodge your application to reduce any delays in processing.

After you have applied for the Visa

After you lodge your application and documents, the department will let you know that it has received your information. You will receive an acknowledgement letter.

Wait for a decision

The department has service standards relating to the time it takes to process applications for this visa. Processing times can be affected by the country you come from and whether you lodge your application in or outside Australia.

If you apply for this visa from outside Australia, do not make arrangements to travel to Australia until you are advised in writing that you have been granted a visa.

If you apply for this visa while you are in Australia, you could be eligible for a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully while your application is processed. You should apply for Bridging visa B (BVB) if you want to travel outside Australia while you wait for a decision.

Provide more information

You can provide more information to the department, in writing, at any time until a decision is made on the application.

The department could also ask you for more information. You will have to respond by a set date. After that date, the department will make a decision about the application using all the relevant information it has.

If another person gives the department information that could result in you being refused a visa, the department will generally give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.

Report changes in circumstances

You must tell the department if your circumstances change.

Active Migration Australia will assess each application individually and provide extensive checklists consisting of instructions to help you successfully complete the forms required.

Withdrawing your application

You may withdraw the application by advising the department in writing at any time before it makes a decision. To do this, you must send the department a letter of withdrawal including your full name, date of birth, date of application, and file reference number/transaction record number (if known).

Everyone included in the application who is 18 years of age or older must sign the letter of withdrawal.

Visa Requirements

You can apply for this visa if any of the following apply:

  • you have a medical treatment plan or medical consultation in Australia
  • are going to donate an organ to someone
  • you are coming with a patient or organ donor who is applying for this visa
  • are going to receive an organ from someone who travels to Australia with you
  • you are coming to Australia as a patient under the arrangements between the Western Province of Papua New Guinea and the Queensland Department of Health
  • you are in Australia, and you are 50 years of age or older, and you have been refused a permanent visa on health grounds only

To be granted this visa you must also

  • meet financial, health and character requirements
  • not have a medical condition that could be a threat to public health
  • not hold either of the following visas:
      • a Domestic Worker (Diplomatic/Consular) visa (subclass 426)
      • the Domestic Worker stream of the Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403)

Financial requirements

You must provide evidence that you have enough money to support yourself while you are in Australia. You must also show that you have enough money for your travel and treatment.

You must also show that you have made arrangements for:

  • your treatment
  • other expenses related to your stay in Australia
  • the expenses of anyone who comes with you to Australia (this includes the organ donor's expenses)

You must show that payment for any treatment in a public hospital has been approved by the treating hospital.

Health requirements

You must meet certain health requirements. After you have lodged your application, you will be asked to have a health examination to ensure you are clear of active tuberculosis. Do not arrange a health examination until the department asks you to.

Anyone who comes with you to Australia to support you while you are being treated must meet the health requirement. The department will tell them when to arrange a health examination.

Character requirements

You must meet certain character requirements. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until the department asks you to.

Debts to the Australian government

To enter Australia you must have no outstanding debts to the Australian government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian government.

Provide biometrics

You might be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of the application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.

Conditions and obligations for holders of visa subclass 602

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws. You cannot work in Australia, except under limited circumstances. You can study for up to three months.

Leave before your visa expires

You are expected to leave Australia before your visa ends. You can apply for another visa in Australia if you need more medical treatment and have a medical treatment plan. Medical Treatment visas are generally granted for a short time only, and you are expected to return to your home country.