Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions about visas and immigration to Australia.

Who can certify my original documents?

Australian Registered Migration Agents can certify your original documents. Other persons who can certify documents include Public Notaries, Magistrates, Justices of the Peace, Commissioners of Declarations, Commissioners of Affidavits, solicitors, and medical doctors. The people authorised to verify documents, may vary from country to country. Photocopies or faced copies of certified documents are not acceptable.

Where can I have my medical done?

The level of medicals required varies from country to country. Medicals needs to be conducted by a panel doctor or radiologist (if an x-ray is require) who has been appointed by the Australian Government to perform medical examinations on visa applicants outside of Australia.

Do I need to obtain a police clearance?

Yes, in most instances you will be required to provide police clearances for every country you have lived in for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Active Migration Australia (AMA) agents can advise you on how this can be done in your country of origin.

Do I need my documents translated into English, and if so, who can do this for me?

Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by an accurate English translation of each document. If documents are being translated outside of Australia, the services of a Registered Translating Service in that country must be used. If documents are being translated in Australia, this must be done by a translator who is accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translations and Interpreters (NAATI).

What is meant by the term an eligible New Zealand Citizen?

For sponsorship purposes, an 'eligible New Zealand citizen' is a person who held a Special Category Visa (SCV) on 26 February 2001; or held an SVC for at least one year in the two years preceding that date; or has a certificate, issued under the Social Security Act in 1991, that states that the New Zealand citizen was, for the purposes of that Act, residing in Australia on a particular date. For an eligible New Zealand citizen to be a sponsor, they must meet health and character requirements.

How soon can I get in?

All depends under which type of visa you are applying for migration. Nobody gets a visa overnight - these things invariably take time. Each application is unique and a time estimate can only be determined once an AMA agent has done a personal assessment.

Does age matter?

Yes, but a lot depends on personal circumstances and the type of visa you apply under.

Are my children included under my visa?

If they are still under your roof and dependent on you, they will be included on your visa. Married / Independent children will not qualify under your visa.

Can I be granted my Migrant Visa while I am still in Australia?

No. You must be outside Australia before we can grant you the migrant visa. You must depart Australia for your visa to be granted and evidenced in your passport. You do not need to return to the country where the application was lodged.

If I am approved, how long do I have before I must travel to Australia?

The initial entry date (stated on your visa) is the date by which you must travel to Australia on your visa. This date is calculated based on the validity of your health and character clearances. These clearances are usually only valid for 12 months.

If you (and any members of your family included in your application) do not enter Australia by the initial entry date, you will breached a condition of your visa and consideration will be given to cancelling your visa.

If this has not answered your question, please do not hesitate to contact Active Migration Australia.